Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jerusalem on Broadway with Mark Rylance

If you get the chance to see any play in NYC, I recommend Jez Butterworth's, Jerusalem. I've seen it twice so far and plan to see it again. Wow. And wow. I think Mark Rylance conveys such understanding of the human condition in any part he plays, that he touches every emotion again and again.

I saw him for the first time in Le Bete with Joanna Lumley and David Hyde Pierce. I laughed for 30 minutes non-stop with tears.

The character he plays in Jerusalem in no way seems like the same person who I saw in Le Bete.

I told him on Sunday that he is my favorite actor and I wasn't joking.

And don't be fooled by the title. It's rural life in England and all the characters in the play are exceptional.

Seeing plays like Le Bete and Jerusalem remind me why I've always been a writer. They inspire with profound words presented by gifted actors. Thank you all for the hours of entertainment!


No comments:

Post a Comment